Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Baby Blanket Sewing Project


Hello my Leaves, how are you?

This is my first project blog that I am uploading for you today. One of my colleagues at my old work has discovered that she is pregnant! I went with her one day to a fabric outlet and saw this gorgeous 'Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes, Volume Two' fabric. I am a very beginner when it comes to sewing projects but I decided I would try and make a gift for my colleague. If it didn't work I had plenty of time to scrap it and buy something instead (Baby isn't due until Autumn/Winter). I have tried my best to take photos at each stage and uploaded a video to my channel (Chez/Autumn) for those of you that want to see the fabrics in their original form. You get the bonus of hearing my dull northern accent too ^^.

So without further ado here is the steps I took to create this 'masterpiece' :P



Step One: Cut out all the squares and a plain cotton fabric. With a ruler, mark an even strip with tailors chalk as a guide for your pictures. (This will be the bordering for each picture square).


 Step Two: Attach the edges of your pictures to the border material with dressmaker pins. Here I have folded the fabric back on itself to help get a straight edge.


Step Three: Ensure your sewing machine is at the right setting by using some offcuts of the materials and doing a straight stitch along the edge. Cotton is fairly easy to work with but it helps you master the pace if, like me, you are still a bit scared of the mating eating the fabric!


 Once you have your borders attached to the first picture, repeat to create strips of the blanket's body. At this point don't trim your border strips as they will be needed to attach to the perimeter border of the blanket.


Step Four: Attach the middle border to your strips. Having a ruler nearby worked well for me to create an even width for the bordering.


Step Five: Attach the outer perimeters of the border using the same process as previous. You may want to make this bordering wider but I kept it the same. Apologies for it being upside down!


Above is the completed front of the Blanket. At this point I gave it a gentle iron again to ensure I measured the backing correctly!


Step Six: Pin the backing of the blanket over the front and sew. As my fabric was fairly clear I ensured the visible sides of the blanket were facing each other so I could pin more accurately. In cases where the back is also patterned, double check that they will both turn inside out the right way or you will have to unpick it and start again reattaching!


Step Seven: Turn the blanket from inside out and fill with a lightweight wadding. If it is too heavy it will be too warm for the baby! If it is being used as a floor met you may want it a bit thicker. I asked the people in the shop for advice and found them quite knowledgeable!
I had added popper studs (hand sewn) to the base of the blanket so that the wadding was concealed. You can also try buttons, a zip, a flap or even ribbons to secure the base.


Et Voila! 
One completed baby blanket!

Overall this project took about 20 hours from start to finish but with a less temperamental sewing machine and more experience I imagine it could be completed in 8-10 :).

Let me know if you have tried this out and how it went for you. My steps may have taken a longer way around but working with no guidance I can say I'm pretty proud of what i have accomplished!

My colleague also loved the blanket!

Do you have any craft ideas I can try? Let me know in the comments.

Toodlepip x