Sunday, 17 August 2014

August Awareness | Phobias & Fears

Hello my Leaves,

This August Awareness theme hasn't been the easiest one to choose if I'm honest. But, I hope it is helping at least one person out there on the world wide web!

Today's theme is Phobias & Fears. Those horrible little thoughts in your head that do their best to prevent you from doing things. I am a firm believer that, 'that which is not spoken, increases the fear' (Chez 2014 ^^), so, today, I am going to share some of my phobias/fears and what I am doing to overcome them.

1. Being Alone
2. Food
3. Illness
4. Travel

I don't know if these are common fears to have, but they are mine, and I have named them.

I am in no way an expert on dealing with fears, all methods are my own choice, and I by no means want you to do things just because I am doing them.

1. Being Alone

My Fear: When I'm alone for a long time I get sad and lonely, kinda like a puppy... I start to think negatively about things and this becomes and increasing spiral until I reach a misery party for one :/
What I'm doing to overcome it: When I know I'm going to be alone I make plans. I make a to do list of things I'm going to do either at home or with people. I put on the TV/Radio/Music so that the sound is a comfort. I'm not trying to fill my time so that I'm not alone but instead I'm finding a way to enjoy it. I have extra long showers and spend time getting ready. I sing aloud...badly, I dance around like a crazy fool. I make being alone a positive thing. One thing I'm notoriously bad at is eating healthy when I'm alone so I make a meal plan and do a shop so that I have no excuse.  A healthy body is a healthy mind! :)

2. Food

My Fear: Trying new things will make me ill/ I won't enjoy them/ it's not safe to eat. Chicken is my current challenge after I had food poisoning in October... 
What I'm doing to overcome it: I have always been a fussy eater but I don't want people to feel they can't invite me over or eat out because I won't like anything. I've started to challenge myself by eating new things on a Friday or Saturday. This way if I am ill I have the weekend to recover, and I don't miss any work. I know that the fear is winning to some extent as it is restricting when I eat, but, it is encouraging me to try things. If nothing bad happens then I can eat during the week until I don't consider it threatening. With regards to chicken, I cut it up into smaller bites so I can see it is cooked. Eventually I won't check every bite but, it's baby steps!

3. Illness

My Fear: Being ill. It could be a headache, it could be something to be hospitalised for. I hate the thought of having to go somewhere ill because I'm that much further from home (safety).
What I'm doing to overcome it: I carry hand sanitiser and tissues with me along with ibuprofen. I don't use them very often but I know that I have them in case. Almost like a security blanket. I'm trying to kick the habit of holding my breath when I walk past someone coughing, but it's something I've done for so long it's a reflex. I am also reminding myself that being ill doesn't mean being weak. Everyone is allowed to be ill, in any capacity, and not be judged. I eat healthy and get plenty of sleep so that I have a stronger immune system. I go outside when I can to get fresh air too. All the little things help and the more I fight, the more the fear lessens.

4. Travel

My Fear: Being trapped and away from safety. I get almost claustrophobic when travelling and in some cases it leads to panic/anxiety attacks.
What I'm doing to overcome it: I plan a lot of my journeys now. I make sure I have an idea of where I am going and that I have plenty of time to get there! The tighter the deadline, the more anxious I will be, so I avoid it. I take a drink and some sweets with me as a distraction if I feel anxiety rising. If someone is driving me I make them aware that I can be an anxious traveller and advise them to talk to me or wind down the windows, (if possible), if they see me becoming anxious. If I'm on public transport I sit in the aisle and have my music or a book to pass the journey. I am determined not to miss out on opportunities because of this fear but, I know I currently have limitations, and I am pushing the boundary a little at a time.

These phobias/fears do not define me. They currently provide obstacles but life would be dull without hiccups! Quite a few of my fears relate to each other so I'm tackling them at the same time e.g. travelling somewhere and eating food there in the mindset that I won't be ill. By travelling with someone I have someone there if I do fall ill.

I want to encourage you now to list some of your fears below and how you are/going to overcome them. If you have twitter then name them with the hashtag #Ihavenamedthem :)

Support yourselves and each other and we WILL quash those fear/phobias! :)



Toodlepip x


I am in no way an expert on dealing with fears, all methods are my own choice, and I by no means want you to do things just because I am doing them.


#Ihavenamedthem