Sunday, 24 August 2014

August Awareness | Time to change campaign

Hello my Leaves how are you today?

Welcome to the penultimate post for August Awareness! How have you found the previous posts? Is there anything that you would like me to talk about in future?

As you know from the title today's post is about the 'Time to Change' campaign which is run by two charities, Mind and Rethink. I am completely on board with this campaign and have been supporting it for a few years now. I can already see differences, especially in the aftermath of Robin Williams' death. A lot of you are showing awareness of mental health as a legitimate concern instead of a way of seeking attention, I'm proud of you.

The whole reason for this campaign is to spread awareness and change the attitudes of the population.  By doing this we are reducing the discrimination that people with mental illness face and we are also increasing the volume of support available, despite frequent cuts by governments. We are becoming the support without needing individual funding. I'm not saying that the governments are doing nothing and this isn't the only area facing cuts, but a lot more could be done and until Mental Illness is widely accepted and recognised, it will continue to be one of the worse off for support.

As I mentioned early, you can become the support behind this campaign. By visiting the Time to Change site you can increase your knowledge on Mental Health and also discover lots of different ways in which you can help. One thing I recommend you do is sign the pledge wall so that the campaign know you are there. Don't just sign it for the sake of it though, make sure you follow through on your pledge! They don't ask a lot of you and by taking time to check in on others is good for both them and you. After this you could also volunteer and complete a whole load of activities. This isn't just a solo affair either, get your friends and businesses involved too!

If you don't believe that Mental Health is genuine then click the links I've posted throughout and brush up on your attitude. I haven't been posting about Mental Health awareness this month for no reason. You don't have to take my word for it either, why not check out these blogs and then evaluate your thoughts. If you're still not convinced then that's fine but I would hope that this post has at least swayed you a little and I'm happy that you've never had to see this in action yourself. (I'm making a massive assumption that you haven't had loved ones suffer or that you haven't gone around telling your loved ones that they're not really ill and need to stop seeking attention!)

I hope this post has helped and I'm going to leave you with some facts and stats that you can share with others :)

If you have liked this post or any of August Awareness then let me know in the comments and share, share, share! Also, be sure to follow my blog page as well as my google +!

Make your own choices.

Toodlepip x
'

1 in 4 people are affected by Mental Health at some point in their lives.

We probably all work with someone experiencing a mental health problem.

1 in 10 young people will experience a mental health problem. 

Nearly three in four young people fear the reactions of friends when they talk about their mental health problems.

9 out of 10 people with mental health problems experience stigma and discrimination

People with a mental illness are more likely to be a victim of violence

'