Monday, 27 October 2014

Book Review | Mad World by Sean Riley


Good Evening my leaves,

Happy Monday! How are you enjoying half term? Or the final week of October for the rest of us?

I just wanted to spend some of your Monday Evening to provide a lovely distraction from reality. A book review.

I have recently been in touch with Sean Riley who is a writer here in the UK. He has recently released his book of poems, 'Mad World', and I had the honour of reading and reviewing it. As with all my reviews I have not been paid nor shall I be claiming any commission, so you know my opinion isn't influenced.

My first impressions on receiving the book were mixed, I'm not an avid poetry reader and I tend to struggle to connect with what's in the poets mind. I also have an issue with trying to find rhythms in the words. Luckily for me Sean has plenty of description within his words to connect with, as well as a clear structure on how my 'mind voice' should approach each line!

Each poem follows the voices experiences in life and, in some cases, the harsh realities that most people prefer to brush under the rug. My particular favourite is 'Fate'. Sean's personification of Fate has been respectfully approached and the message behind the poem is oddly calming for me. It gives me an acceptance that there are many things in life that we can't, and shouldn't try, to control.

I would recommend this book for teenagers and up as there is some mild language I wouldn't want a nine year old repeating. Other than that I would say that it doesn't matter whether you are experienced with the genre or, like me, slowly returning to it. There is a poem there for everyone to relate to!

Sean's book is available for Kindle and Paperback purchase via the link here for a very affordable price! You can also view his profile here and let him know that I say 'congratulations' :) There's also a lot more information there about projects that Sean is currently working on so you can find out more about him.

Let me know which poem is your favourite in the comments below :)

Make your own choices.

Toodlepip x