Sunday, 19 October 2014

October Soul, Mind & Body | The importance of exercise

Hello my leaves, how are you today?

Today's post is following on from Wednesday's Autumn Ramble around the area I live. It's time to talk exercise.

I don't mean going out and completing decathlon's or Tough Mudder courses (though if this is your cup of tea, I'm not telling you to stop). This is about making little changes to keep your heart and mind healthy. Just 30 minutes of exercise a day can do wonders for your body and mind!

So, below I have listed a few things that I am doing to get my 30 minutes:

1. Parking away from work - I have the option at work of parking fairly close by or on a neighbouring street. The car park is limited in spaces and I'm not one of the 'lucky' ones. I've been deliberately parking slightly further away from my work (about a five minute walk) so that I can get a bit of walking in before and after work. 5 minutes doesn't sound like a lot but that's almost an hour a week of walking just by choosing a different street. I also have a wander on my lunch break too to clear my mind and have some decent time away from the screens!

2. Stretching in the car - Please don't stretch and drive, that's not what I'm advocating! I sit in traffic A LOT whilst I commute to and from work and I've taken to doing some stretches whilst sat, not moving, with the handbrake on. A few exercises I do include rolling my head and stretching my arms over the dashboard. This has been really helping me to de-stress on my journey home and is a lovely distraction from my anxiety whilst the traffic is at a standstill. It's also amused a few drivers but as long as I feel better for it I don't mind. I have taken to pointing at them to try and join in but it hasn't worked, though they do stop staring after that point...

3. Dancing before dinner/tea/evening meal - After getting home I crank the music up and just let loose in my room. I've been using this time to practice my belly dancing and it's great fun playing genres that you don't associate with belly dancing and working out the rhythms for your moves. I'm particularly enjoying Skrillex at the moment as it's fast paced and I'm already part stretched from my journey home. Do you have any song challenges for me?

4. Challenges and YouTube - I don't know if you have already discovered Cassey and her Blogilates workouts but they're definitely worth a try. The lady has so much enthusiasm and knows exactly what you are thinking! I've also been working my way through a 30 day fitness challenge alongside Cassey's videos.

I know this all sounds like a sound case for proving me mental but I've been really feeling the benefits of them. Exercise helps my mind, gets the blood flowing, and tones up my body. If they're not good enough reasons to challenge yourself to 30 minutes a day then I don't know what is!

Let me know how you get on and what you do to get your exercise fix of endorphins (more happy hormones)! @ChezAutumn :) or in the comments below!

On a final note:

I can't believe that this is my 50th blog post! Crazy times! What's been your favourite post so far? 

Also, I don't know if you have noticed, but I've posted a couple of videos to my YouTube Channel recently. Just snippets of rambles and an insight into my mind away from keyboard :) Feel free to check them out :) (links are on my google profile feed :) and description box!)

Make your own choices!

Toodlepip x