Sunday, 7 December 2014

December Decorations & Delights | A non-traditional Christmas

Good Evening my leaves! 

How has your weekend been? I've had a very lazy weekend reading the rest of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books :)

Anyway that's not for today's post :) Today I'm going to make you all warm, fuzzy and festive :) Let's talk about plans for Christmas!

This year I am celebrating Christmas at home with some of my family, the last 5 years have been spent away from home so it will be nice to spend time with my family :) Saying that, this will be the first time I have had a Christmas with my family, at home, sine 1998. Why is that I hear you ask? Why because we are usually away. I have been very blessed and fortunate to experience christmas' in other countries and I've found that there are alternative ways to celebrate as opposed to running to the living room in the morning, having a massive meal, followed by dancing around like loonies and watching everyone get hilariously drunk. Which, don't get me wrong, is still a fantastic way to spend Christmas!

This was me after completing one of my first black runs
(It started at the raised tower you can see at the top of the mountain ^^)
My most memorable christmas' have been spent in snow :) To avoid the planning and preparation of Christmas we would go away, usually skiing in the Alps. I loved it! 

As a child I loved it because it was fun and in Italy you got to open presents on Christmas Eve! (I don't know if this is a tradition?) As a bigger kid I loved it because there were no expectations. You could get up and just go skiing at any time, it would be a normal holiday day. I particularly loved that you could have anything for Christmas day lunch (insert picture of little Chez post-pasta, at the top of a mountain, on Christmas day ^^).

Yep, sat outside in the sun and snow :)
Spending Christmas away from home really gave me the reason I love Christmas. For me it's not the religion, it's not the dinner, its not the rushing to get up early and open presents and then get ready for family. Its the feeling. I don't know if I can describe it, hopefully you will know what I mean. Everything just falls into place. It doesn't matter what your plans are for the day you just get a little reminder that you should embrace your inner you and appreciate life. Not just your own lives, life as a whole. When you go for your post meal walk just stop and look around you. Close your eyes. Just listen. I think that's the closest I can get to helping explain it.

I hope you know what I mean and, if you don't, I hope you will feel it this year. 

Do you have any non-traditional things you like to do at Christmas? Maybe it's become a tradition for you? I know a few of my friends go to the cinema on Christmas eve? Perhaps you don't celebrate Christmas, can you relate this to another event?

Make your own choices!

Toodlepip x