Sunday, 25 January 2015

January 2015 | Health and Self Development Update

Happy Sunday :)

I can't believe how fast this month is going!

As discussed in January's overview I will now be releasing a monthly update to catch you up on my personal development progress (A new sport, language and instrument) as well as the mental health side of things. So, here we go...



A New Sport

As you will know from the previous posts I have decided to learn Karate and return to Belly dance. I know it has only been a few weeks but I am already starting to see and feel the benefits of Karate. I'm gradually improving my balance and picking up moves but, the thing I've noticed the most, is my improvement in flexibility. I've been doing some of the basic stretches a couple of times a week and I'm back at the point where I can put my hands flat on the floor when I touch my toes! This sounds like a small change to some but I really felt the loss of flexibility and I'm happy that it wasn't too far away! The stretches have also been helping to form a routine when I get home from work and they're really helping to calm my mind from the chatter at the office :). Dancing began last Thursday and I LOVED it! It's been a few years since I last danced around people but it felt like coming home. I shall stick out this course to brush up on technique of the basics and then see where it takes me :)

A New Instrument

Progress has been slower here, as expected. Not having the instrument does have it's drawbacks (lack of visual enticement) but I have been learning a few of the common rhythms and can now do a few of them without having to frown too much! I've also taken to trying to tap along to the rhythm of a few songs but that loses me in the variety of sounds and tempos!

A New Language

I'm almost definitely certain now that I want to learn Dutch. A colleague asked me, 'why not German?' as it is slightly more common but, I just love how dutch is less 'rough'? I've been going on to a few sites to see their methods but I think it's going to be +Rosetta Stone that I settle with :)


Mental Health

...the fun part!

This month has been a roller coaster. I've had several days where I've quite calmly thought about scary things and have struggled to shift out of the mood. Being back at work is helping me ten fold as it is giving me structure and routine! I still have periods of dark but I almost 'schedule' them in with my mind. I haven't heard any more from the doctors and therapists since the initial phone chat so goodness knows how long their waiting list is! I get quite frustrated that there is such a lack of support available and can't help but feel as though we are being let down just out of lack of acceptance/funding. 

I honestly don't know where I would be without my family and select friends. The majority understand that there are days where I just don't want to talk but a few have shown their, not so pleasant, true colours during this time too. At least by the end of this I will know my real friends and who I can trust!

Perhaps I shouldn't have ended this update with health as it's just resulted in me getting a bit riled up :/ body wise I have toned ever so slightly in a few areas of my body and I didn't have as much of a battle with my jeans waist band this morning ^^,

I hope you've all had a good first month of the year and that you're not alone, in whatever you are doing/achieving. We're all here for each other and I like that about my little community.

Make your own choices.

Toodlepip x

Follow me on: