Wednesday, 14 January 2015

January Journey | A New Language

Hello my lovely leaves, how are you today?

Welcome to the third and final instalment of how I'm going to improve myself this year :)

As the title suggests this post is on learning a new language. I love communication. I did a degree in linguistics where I spent my day looking at how people and animals communicate with other. I don't just mean vocally but also through images, signs and body language. It's just limitless and you can convey so much in the smallest gesture and... I'm going off on one so I shall stop and spare you :)



Suffice to say I have decided that it is time to learn a new language. I just haven't decided which just yet. Perhaps you can help? I studied French at school and did a year of German. Of the two I found german easier to grasp. I also studied sign language and used it for one of my jobs. As well as this I also love reading peoples body language so maybe I should focus on this? Ahh there are too many options available :(

I'm considering learning Dutch through Rosetta Stone as I like the method that they use, but I don't know when I would use it! Maybe to watch TV and films, or to read but I don't think I would travel to the Netherlands that often...

What do you think? At the end of the day the language learning is the experience I enjoy, it's not so much about usage and outcome. I don't particularly enjoy the 'night school' environment for learning but are there other methods to consider aside from Rosetta? Maybe you have tried Rosetta before, how did you find it?

Make your own choices. (I appreciate the irony of this today when I'm asking you for help ^^)

Toodlepip x