Sunday, 18 January 2015

January Journey | Sticking to Resolutions

Good Sunday my leaves, how are we all today?

We've made it to the halfway point of January, yahoo! We started this month full of ambitions and dreams of all the amazing things we want to accomplish this year; be it diet change, focusing on what makes you happy, learning a new skill or just achieving something you would have thought impossible.

How's it going for you

If you're anything like me you've reached the point where finding the motivation to keep these new ideas going is becoming a challenge. It's dawning on you that actually starting the change was the easy part. You may have already paused, telling yourself you're allowed a treat day and you can start again tomorrow. 

Am I on the right lines?

Today, I'm hoping to help you find that spark again. Let's keep the fire burning and achieve what our 'New Years' self wanted!

Tip One

Make a list of everything you decided to achieve this year. Now, evaluate it. How is the progress going for each goal? Are you finding that your priorities have changed? Perhaps you don't have the time to go to the gym 5 days a week? 

That's fine! Instead of kicking yourself for having a day off, reduce the time but DON'T STOP. Remember, you can always increase it when you have time. Give yourself a schedule for the week. Commit to specific dates and times to accomplish your goal. This way, like when it's an appointment, you feel more committed and you know not to schedule things for then. You're less likely to get home and crawl into bed because you've already made the plans. It's much easier on you if you don't have to psych yourself up. It's already on the schedule, so go do it.

Tip Two

Motivation.
The word that eludes most minds. How can you motivate yourself to do something you're not used to doing? Create a board or object. If you want to gain muscle make a collage of images that inspire you. If you want to lose weight, buy a garment that is a size too small and hang it where you can see it. Stick a photo of it in the kitchen or in your purse as a reminder when you're stood in a fast food queue. Perhaps you're learning an instrument? Why not have a model you aspire to stuck up on the wall to remind you why you wanted to do this and what you want to gain out of it? I want to go on a cruise one day so, to help me save, I've got brochures to flick through as my incentive :)



Tip Three

Incentive. You've got your inspiration sorted but now you need incentive. It's not always about working and pushing your limits. By having a 'reward' at the end you're more likely to want to do something. Personally I reward myself in different ways. If I eat healthy and clean during the week, I can have a treat at the weekend. If I get all my tasks done, I can have a lazy, guilt free lie in. If I do all my sports training, I can choose my own routine and music another day, or I can have a nice hot bath! Find out what makes you motivated. Observe what you indulge in and make that the carrot that you aim for. Overall you will have the reward of accomplishing your goal but, it's nice to have little treats along the way. 

Tip Four

Tell people. Very simply, things are harder to stop when others ask how progress is going. You don't want to be the person that 'quits'. You may even find people with the same goals as you and you can lean on each other for support in the tough times :)


How are you feeling now? More energised? I know I am and I've just been typing! Sometimes thinking about what you really want and the reason you started everything is enough. For when it's not, try one of these tips, maybe it will help :)

Do you have any tips for the community? Feel free to add them in the comments!

Make your own choices.

Toodlepip x

Follow me on: